Today I am honored to feature Joshua Rivers on Entrepreneur Spotlight. He is an extremely busy man, working very hard to teach all of us how to live a quality life and you can learn from him too!
1. How did the idea start to teach people how to achieve “quality living”? It seems pretty complicated, yet you say it’s quite simple.
It was a slow transition to start teaching about achieving “quality living.” God has given me some ability and desire to teach people to become better than they are, whether it is in mathematics, Bible knowledge, or a job task.
The idea of “quality living” can seem complicated if you look at the whole picture. But I like to think about the question: “How do you eat an elephant?” The answer is: “One bite at a time.” What I like to do is take one thing and try to make it simple to understand. If we take one simple thing after another, we will be slowly building that “quality life.” I also like this verse: “For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:” (Isaiah 28:10)
2. How long ago did you start your blog and when did you decide it was time to start a podcast too?
I started a blog back in 2010, but there wasn’t any consistency and I abandoned it early. In the spring of 2012, I heard about Michael Hyatt’s book “Platform,” and it motivated me to begin blogging again. I started it back up in May 2012. I had little real direction, but I tried a theme of “Dedicated Discipleship” (ties in with a desire to teach and help others grow). By December 2012, I started to develop a theme in my life, and that is “Quality made simple.” This theme is the basis of several areas of my life now: the blog and podcast is “Quality Living Made Simple,” and my website development business tagline is “Quality Websites Made Simple.”
The thought to start a podcast developed through the same time. I had been listening to several different podcasts and I heard them talk about the impact that podcasting had for them in their business. It was a really scary thought for me to sit in front of a microphone and put it out there for everyone to hear (I’m much more comfortable with writing than talking), but I ventured into it anyway. I’ll be celebrating my 6 month anniversary of the podcast the week of August 19, 2013.
3. You are a pretty busy man. How do you balance your day job(s), your Web development business, your blog, podcast and family?
Unfortunately, I don’t think I have a great balance. But I’m working on it. Listening to great podcasts, reading great books, and interviewing high quality guests on the podcast have really helped me to evaluate how I spend my time. The best time I spent was with Christ LoCurto as he gave me some simple, yet powerful, perspective on my time. I am working like crazy right now (thank God for a great wife!), but I’m praying that all the seeds of preparation will grow soon and I’ll be able to reap the benefits. One of my greatest desires is to be able to have free time to spend with my family.
4. Who can benefit from “Quality Living Made Simple” and what are the three main ideas you want to share with them?
It may be cliche, but everyone can benefit. More specifically, though, it would be people that really have a desire to learn and grow. Yes, everyone wants to have a better quality of life, but not everyone is willing to put the work into achieving it. Again, just because we can do simple things, doesn’t mean that it won’t take work.
Three things that I would like to share and emphasize are the three focus words I’ve had for this year: opportunity, dedication, and intentionality.
- Opportunity – There are opportunities all around us, but we are either not paying attention to them or we have failed to prepare ourselves for them.
- Dedication – While we are learning simple tips and ideas for improving our lives, it will take dedication to see them through.
- Intentionality – We must do things on purpose. People don’t become successful on accident.
5. How can we connect with you and learn more about all you are doing?
Visit my blog at QualityLivingMadeSimple.com. You can get the blog posts (usually twice a week) and the weekly podcast episode (usually on Wednesdays). You can check out my web development site at DevByJR.com. I am also putting together a catch-all site for myself at JoshuaRivers.net that will have links to all my other sites and resources. You can also follow me on Twitter @JoshuaWRivers.